Thursday, December 10, 2009

5 grammatical errors that make you look stupid!

I was reading about silly grammatical errors from an old issue of Reader's Digest (one of my favourite magazine, but we'll talk more about magazines next time). Which I think it's awfully true. Honestly, I suck at grammar, and am in no position to blog about this topic. But hey, note that it's error that'll risk you seeming silly, and not bad in the command of English.

Own vs Owe

This drives me insane. Many people, (I don't know why, but these people tend to be our male counterparts here), love to use own and owe wrongly. Be it through any form of communication, (msn, sms, facebook wall etc) I'll have to halt whatever topic on hand, and correct that poor feller before I can continue living my life. (Yes, that bad. It's like OCD or something. )

Own (adj) :- Belonging to individual
Owe (verd) : - Have an obligation

Example :
"You owe Lily 10bucks."
"You own Lily 10bucks."
(Of course the latter is wrong)



It's vs Its

This is another common mistake. It’s also easily avoided by thinking through what you’re trying to say. Honestly, if you noticed, I kinda have the tendency to commit this error. That's because, I love to type this " ' " sign. (The apostrophe punctuation thing)

It’s - a contraction of “it is” or “it has.”
Its - a possessive pronoun, as in “this pen has lost its function.”

Here is an easy rule of thumb -repeat your sentence out loud using “it is” instead. If that sounds r.tard, “its” is likely to be the correct choice.


Your vs You're

I realise this mistake has become very common among bloggers nowadays. Maybe we're all too fast in our typing and not bothered to check our entries before hitting the [publish post] button.

“Your” is a possessive pronoun, as in “your pasah” or “your problem.”
“You’re” is a contraction for “you are,” as in “you’re screwing up your life.”



Affect vs Effect

Affect (verb) - My lack of self-discipline now, will affect my grades.
Effect (noun) - The effect global warming is making us all hotter by the day.



There vs Their

This one seems to trip up everyone occasionally, often as a pure typo. But it's still an eyesore to know that the person meant "there" but typed " their", or vice versa.

"There" is used many ways, including as a reference to a place or as a pronoun.
“Their” is a plural possessive pronoun, as in “their bags” or “their opinions.”

---


Be careful not to make those errors! Otherwise, risk being STUPID. Heh.



Alrighty, that's all folks!
Back to revising for my last paper!
I officially gave myself 4hrs off my precious time being on the laptop, watching drama facebook and all.
Heh! ^^ Exams gg to be over real soon! Catching up with all the lovies tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment